I missed you yesterday. I had another insane weekend at a lacrosse tournament. We were down in Flagler Beach, Florida at the Heatwave Tournament. What an appropriate name for this tournament! It was so hot and humid – as Florida usually is in July. We have done this tournament 4 years in a row now and every year I swear I will not do it again. Of course, every year I am back and as pissy as ever about being there. As I have mentioned (many many times) before, I do not like to be hot. I will say, however, that this year there was a slight breeze that kept me just above the “If I don’t get out of this heat – I will be saying the F word A LOT” stage. I am kidding (sort of) – I really do enjoy watching the games and being with the families of the players.
The best thing about the tournament and the one thing truly worth being miserably hot for, is that my daughter’s team won and she played really great! Here is a picture – she is on the left:
We did not get home until midnight on Sunday night – hence the reason for no post on Monday. But today is Tuesday, another day and another Teach Me Tuesday!
Unless you have been living in a cave lately, you have definitely heard about Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise getting divorced. I saw in People magazine that she is settling into her new life thanks to the help of Curried Chicken Salad. Really – who needs therapy when there is a good chicken salad around? I love chicken salad and I love curry so I can completely understand how she could just bounce back from a failed marriage with this recipe. Kidding.
I think even a happy marriage could benefit from this yummy recipe so I am going to give this one a try:
Curried Chicken Salad Sandwich
(Makes 4-6 sandwich servings)
• 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 2 tbsp. curry powder
• ¼ cup apricot jam
• ¼ cup sour cream
• ¼ cup mayonnaise
• ¼ cup finely chopped celery
• ¼ cup finely chopped red onion (about ½ medium onion)
• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Rub the chicken breasts with 1 tbsp. of the curry powder, place them on a lightly greased baking sheet and roast until a meat thermometer registers 125 to 160 degrees in the thickest part, or until the juices run clear. Let the chicken cool.
3. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1 tbsp. curry powder with the apricot jam, sour cream and mayonnaise.
4. When the chicken is cool, cut into ½ inch cubes. Add the chicken, celery, and onion to the bowl and stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Any unused curried chicken recipe can be covered and refrigerated for up to 5 days.)
Recipe adapted from Alice’s Tea Cup cookbook by Haley and Lauren Fox. (William Morrow Cookbooks, 2010)
My Mom let me know today that she made a chicken pasta salad that is so good it will make you jump up and down on your couch – Tom Cruise style! I can’t wait to get the recipe – I will be sure to share it with you.
Hope your life is more curried chicken heaven than Tom and Katie havoc!